The 14th 15 and 16 Battalions: were all deployed to France on 21 November 1915 as part of 95th Brigade, 32nd Division. On 28 December 1915 the 14 was transferred to 13th Brigade, 5th Division and was moved to Italy with the Division in November 1917, but returned to France to take part in the defence against the major German offensives of April 1918. On 5 October 1918 it became the Pioneer Battalion of the 5th Division the 15 on 28 December 1915 was transferred to 14th Brigade, 5th Division. It was again transferred, to 13th Brigade, 5th Division, on 14 January 1916, and moved to Italy with the Division in November 1917. It too was returned to France April 1918. On 6 October 1918 15th Battalion was disbanded, with personnel being posted to the 14th and 16th Battalions. The 16th (Service) Battalion (3rd Birmingham) was also attached at first to 95th Brigade, 32nd Division. On 26 December 1915 it was transferred to 15th Brigade, 5th Division, and went to Italy with the Division in November 1917. Like the 14th and 15th Battalions, the 16th was returned to France April 1918. On 4 October 1918 it was transferred to 13th Brigade, 5th Division.
The 17th (Reserve) Battalion was formed in Sutton Coldfield in June 1915 as a Reserve battalion, from depot companies of the City of Birmingham battalions. On 1 September 1916 it was converted into 92nd Training Reserve Battalion in 22nd Reserve Brigade
We would recommend Terry Carters book BIRMINGHAM PALS: 14th, 15th and 16th (Service) Battalions of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment